Sunday, September 2, 2012

Data Collection Finished





It has been a long hot summer.

I set out at the beginning of summer to catalog each city-owned residential vacant lot here in Buffalo, NY. Almost 20,000 images later I have to concede that this task will be impossible to accomplish. I still have not been able to get an accurate list form the city of their property, and even if I had it, the city is still tearing down houses. I saw several demolitions in progress over the last two weeks. In spite of the hurdles by my last count I have photographed approximately 3200 vacant lots.  Until the city stabilizes this project would be unending but I had to pick a stoping point and August 31st was it. 

I have walked the East side with and assistant or alone. I was not shot, (although my car was shot by a paint ball) robbed or raped; I was however offered drugs.  I meet many interesting residents who still take pride in their neighborhoods but have lost faith in city government. What I witnessed there has shaped my project in ways I did not foresee.

Over the next couple months I will be using the data I have collected to create a photo book, a slide show with sound, an exhibition of photographs, and a learning lab.



No comments:

Post a Comment